Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Boy Purse For My Boy

My son has been asking me for a purse for months. I was happy to oblige. But there was a little problem. I didn't have any fabric for a boy purse. I have lots of flowers. And I'll admit it, I didn't want to make him a bag out of little boy fabric (think puppies, dinosaurs, footballs, you get the idea). I wanted it to be cool (that's assuming I know what cool is :)).

I've seen the Japanese imports around but have never really thought about using them for my purses (although I'm thinking a little differently now!). But once I decided on the pattern for the boy purse I knew that they'd be perfect. Thankfully Pink Panda Fabrics, a Canadian online fabric store, carries japanese fabrics. They also have free shipping in Canada. Free shipping makes me happy :)

So I gave my son a limited selection of fabric to choose from and this is what he chose.




This fabric in from echino. The line in called ni-co. It is a cotton/linen blend that's a little heavier than a quilting weight cotton.

I decided to use a pattern from the book One-Yard Wonders. It is called a map bag and it is the perfect size for a five year old.








This was my first time making an adjustable strap.




Under the flap.







The back.




When I finished it I held it up for him to see. He said it was beautiful. What more can a Momma ask for ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Sew Lovely