Saturday, June 19, 2010

Garden Update #3

My garden is really starting to grow! Most of the seeds I planted have germinated and the transplants seem to be adjusting well. I really enjoy seeing the seeds sprout, but I also start to get a bit impatient for something to harvest :) Because of my late start it'll still be a few weeks before there is anything to pick, other than radishes, which I don't really like. I planted those for my neighbour.


Here's a shot of the main garden. I was hoping to get a chance to mow the weeds grass before I took these pictures, but as you can tell, I didn't :) Soon we'll be putting down some gravel around the outside to help keep the weeds under control.





The square foot garden





The corn. The rows on the left I sowed earlier and they are doing quite well. On the right they didn't germinate quite as well but I think it's probably too late to re-seed. There's also one row empty on the right (I ran out of seeds) so I think I'll plant the 4 brussels sprout plants that I bought last night for $1.19 (total!) there.





Corn again




Tomatillo flowers





Tomato flowers




Lettuce




Red Onions




Broad Beans - I don't really know what these are, but when they say broad bean, they're not kidding. The seeds were huge, probably about the size of a nickle!




Any my broccoli - This one is huge! It's quite tall so it's not crowding the other plants, yet!




When I walked outside yesterday I was overwhelmed by this glorious smell. I thought my neighbours must have planted something really special. Then later that day when I was in the garden, I realized it was our bushes. They have profuse amounts of these tiny white flowers. And I have no idea what kind of bushes they are. And I don't really care. They smell good. That's all that matters.








How's your garden growing?

1 comment:

  1. No garden here, but quite in awe of yours :) Bravo! Can't wait to see harvest pictures!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Sew Lovely